Homesteading Blues

WARNING NOT FIBER RELATED

If anyone ever told you, or you read somewhere, that starting a homestead was easy, they lied. At least in my case I have not experienced anything easy about it. It was my husband's idea to move here, (Blue Ridge Mountains of East Tennessee), in our 50's. The property he purchased is all wooded, mostly steep ridges, not something I was interested in because of a lack of any flat place to build a house or grow a garden. "I'll build you the house of your dreams" he promised. Well I have been here almost 4 years now and the spot where he sais he wants to build the house isn't even cleared yet. At first there was no driveway, no water, power, plumbing, cell service, or internet.

Where am I living? In a camper, on top of a mountain, in the woods while my studio and house contents have been sitting in several storage units for the past 3.5 years. Yeah, not happy. We now have a well for water, we did hook up to the grid for now so we have power, we just got the septic in place two months ago, internet installed a couple weeks ago, (satellite being our only option which sucks even when it's working), still no cell signal which will most likely never change.

What do I do all day? Absolutely nothing, with all my studio contents in storage I have nothing to do but clean, do dishes, do laundry and play with new grand baby when I have him. I don't know about you but for me, doing my crafts is therapy, It's what puts me in a happy place and state of mind. I was in Gatlinburg a few weeks ago and picked myself up a Mountain Dulcimer, never played one before but I do have a Hammered Dulcimer in storage. The Mountain Dulcimer is small enough to keep in my camper and I have been playing with it to help pass time.

I used to love going camping on the weekends during summer months but now that I'm camping full time I look at it a bit differently these days. For example, I wonder sometimes if I were to go away for a weekend and visit someone with a house, what would that be called? Housing? Honey I'm going housing for the week-end, lol !

I wasn't surprised when I was finally able to log into to my account here and found that I had lost nearly every follower, A big thanks going out to the two that are still here! I am truly grateful to you both.

On the bright side, now that I have some internet service I can finally start posting more often, I promise I'll try to keep it interesting and add photos next time.

I hope you're having a good summer and you're staying cool.
Signing off from my mountain top.

No comments: