Mystery Sock X (part 1)

Since its been so extremely cold outside in my neck of the woods I decided to work on indoor projects for now and save the new weaving project I spoke of In my last post for warmer days. One of these projects, we all have more than one going at a time right?, is the Mystery Sock X KAL by the Knitters Brewing Company. I have knit a lot of socks but I have never participated in a mystery sock kal so when I got the e-mail from Knitters Brewing about this and saw that it was FREE to participate I couldn't pass it up. I have a good supply of sock yarn in my stash already so I decided to use some of that up for this project.
Typically when I knit socks I use double points and work top down, (from cuff to toe). This pattern is a top down pattern but doesn't begin in a typical top down way so it has really expanded my view of sock knitting and I'm loving it so far! The cast on begins with Judy's Magic Cast On for toe up socks, yep you read that right. You can google that if you don't know what that is, I did, lol  this is what my cast on looked like.
Now normally this cast on uses two needles but I find that this cast on method is harder to control the tension, at least for me anyway so that's why you see three needles in my photo. The first row has k2 togethers and it was way to tight for me to do that so I made my cast on over two needles on the working side and then slipped one out before beginning row one, worked great! The stitches on the single needle are held there as a provisional cast on and will be worked later.
This is row one finished
Other firsts for my sock knitting is that this cuff is worked flat instead of in the round and incorporates the Elizabeth's Lattice Lace stitch pattern which I have never tried before in any project. Here is a photo of the first 10 rows of the pattern.

These 10 rows are repeated till the size being made is reached, in my case size med. means I need ten repeats of these ten rows.
Here are a few pictures of the lattice work in progress.
This was pretty cool to do, Unlike a cable stitch, where the crossed stitches are held on a separate cable needle and held either in front or behind, these stitches were actually pulled through the crossing stitches.
The total length of the cuff is now finished.
Now it's time to join the two ends together in the round using the three needle bind off method.
This is what the wrong side looks like at the seam. The next picture is of the right side.
As you can see the seam is barely visible.
Here is the finished cuff!
This KAL is a lot of fun and I don't think it's too late to join if you want to give it a try. Just head on over to the Ravelry site and search the forums for knitters brewing co. sock-aholics to get started.
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this installment of my progress. Till next time, stay warm.



No comments: